The festive season may well be out of the way but winter’s chill is set to stay and what better way to start 2013 than clad in glorious faux fur?
Fashion forward, cruelty-free and totally luxurious, faux fur is this season’s instant glamour hit. Whether you wear it shaggy or sleek, nipped in or swingy, or big and bushy it’s time to go a little wild this winter.
With recent manufacturing advances, faux fur no longer resembles a shoddy shag pile and faking it has never looked this good. With Mulberry, Alexander McQueen and Matthew Williamson all showcasing faux fur on the AW12 catwalks it is safe to say that high faux will be everywhere this season.
A faux fur coat can be worn during the day, or with an evening ensemble and is both seductive and snuggly. Avoid pairing your pelt with an exceptionally figure-hugging or flesh flashing number. Unless you’re going for the Pretty Woman look, fur coat no knickers is one fashion faux-pas best forgotten.
If you opt for a long, chunky faux fur coat, belt it at the waist for an elegant hourglass silhouette. A cropped jacket is best worn with tailored bottoms for a streamlined shape that balances out any furry bulk. A faux fur vest or gilet is also a fabulous option for a bohemian feel.
Fur doesn’t have to be fusty and adding a splash of colour to your coat will bring brightness into the dark winter days. If you do opt for colour, keep the rest of the look subtle with black jeans and an understated top.
A little fur can go a long way and faux fur cuffs and collars give an instant luxe update. A faux fur bag or hat is a great way to incorporate fuzz without looking like the Gruffalo!
To help you out on your quest to bewitching bushiness, take a look at the following five fur do’s and don’ts:
1. Sorry men, but fur isn’t for you. Unless you’re venturing into Narnia, this is one fashion trend that is definitely best left for the ladies.
2. Don’t wear real fur. Not only is it unethical, it is also totally pointless. Faux fur looks just as good as its cruel counterpart and also considerably less expensive.
3. Don’t commit fur overkill. A fur coat is a statement in itself. Start pairing your pelt with furry gloves, hats and you’ll look more eskimo than front row. Don’t be afraid to combine your fabulous fur coat with some winter boots from Brantano (one of my favourites), as you are still allowed to coordinate your look.
4. Keep your faux fur well away from radiators, heaters and open flame. The synthetic fibres will melt and ruin the garment.
5. Also, NEVER tumble dry – unless you fancy swapping you faux fur for sheep wool.
Read more about Faux Fur on the Wikipedia page for it. It’s got all the advantages and disadvantages of it such as the fact that it’s not as warm as real fur.